The Cook III has demonstrated proficiency in all kitchen areas found in a gaming hospitality environment. The ability to assist with menu development, planning, process refinement and highest level of attention to detail will be expected. They are responsible for culinary preparation for the guests, catered events, banquets and special functions. Taste and presentation standards are expected be exceptional and directly affect a positive guest experience. Preparation and strict adherence of the menu ingredients and recipes are a must and the candidate will typically be a training position for mentorship of level I and II Cooks. Primary areas of responsibilities include maintaining line flows at the direction of the Executive Chef and adherence to all safety and sanitation requirements. They may also be required to assist with organizing records, inventory and tracking ordering levels at the direction of the Executive Chef.
- Ensures quality of food served to customers, and maintains station and sanitation at all food prep areas.
- Must have proficiency in cutting, preparing, sautéing, and broiling, poaching, boiling, steaming and braising techniques.
- Must have the ability to recreate menu items by taste, appearance and portion control standards set by the Executive Chef.
- Responsible for long and short term planning and day-to-day operations of the ALL kitchens and related areas.
- Assists Executive Chef in development and planning of menus.
- Performs all essential functions while adhering to Tribal Gaming regulations.
- Responsible to adhere to internal policies and procedures, all SOP's and future food programs to ensure a consistent, quality product.
- Responsible for scheduling, training and mentorship of all BOH staff.
- Verify and ensure culinary operates in accordance with the direction given by the Executive Chef.
- In charge of consistency and presentation of all menu items.
- Adherence to guidelines and procedures for HACCP, sanitation, safety and general control. Monitors time and temperature recording.
- Supervise associates in the kitchen in order to attract, retain and motivate the employees while providing a safe environment; adopts “HIRE THE BEST”, trains, develops, empowers, coaches and counsels, resolve problems, and provides open communication.
- Monitor and control the maintenance/sanitation of kitchen, equipment and related areas to ensure a healthy, safe work environment which meets/exceeds federal, state, tribal standards and regulations.
- Implement menus and back-up (use records, production lists, pars, training, etc.) within Casino guidelines to continually improve revenues and profit margins while maintaining quality.
- Promote the Accident Prevention Program to minimize liabilities and related expenses.
- Monitors daily operations within kitchen guidelines and ensures quality control of food and appropriate staffing levels.
- Responsible for the execution of banquet functions—such as VIP, Jackpot Party and other internal casino events.
- Monitors activities of other staff and provides instruction in the finer points of cooking; follows general standards per the department and position; trains new employees and monitors training to include assigning training tutors.
- Performs or assists other staff in performing duties, such as cooking, carving meat, preparing dishes and sauces and/or cleaning areas.
- Recommends new products and recipes and reviews kitchen operations for improvements in the food production area(s).
- Conducts standard operating training for kitchen personnel, including sanitation and food production.
- Assists in the calculation of food costs for restaurant menus; maintains costs control records; reviews food and labor costs with the Food & Beverage Director and Management Team.
- Monitors guest satisfaction of food; resolves any problems that occur during assigned shift.
- Proven track record of successfully managing multiple priorities in a fast paced work environment.
- Ensures compliance with all regulations regarding health and safety issues for both employees and customers.
- Builds relationships inside and outside of their department / team to improve ways of working and provide a great guest experience.
- Identifies ways to improve workflows and processes to work smarter and increase efficiency.
- Remains aware of guests waiting time and finds ways to handle as many guests or situations as possible.
- Moves guest situations quickly toward resolution by efficiently managing and controlling the circumstances.
- Explains the “why” behind the resolution or action for the guest.
- Pays attention to detail and conducts thorough research to make the best decision for the guest and the business.
- Makes judgment calls based on understanding Coulee Dam Casinos’ Mission, Core Values and Objectives while utilizing research, knowledge, and experience.
- Proactively shares guest feedback with leadership and peers in the spirit of continuous improvement.
- Seeks to share and improve processes and workflows based on guest feedback.
- Anticipates the consequences of decisions that impact the guest and proactively provides solutions or recommendations appropriately.
- Finds ways to make good use of theirs and their associates strengths and talents.
- Acts as a mentor for their peers and considers the success of the associates as their success.
- Views themselves as responsible for their contribution and remains self-aware of themselves.
- Takes personal responsibility for their performance, knows how they are performing and constantly strives to improve.
- Continues to develop both their individual and associate’s skills so that they can contribute at a higher level.
- Actively seeks to build new skills; teaches others and shares best practices.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm, courtesy, responsiveness, and professionalism in our daily work.
- Familiar with, and use, those policies and procedures as contained in the associate handbook.
- Models for the team, a strong work ethic and is visible, available and present for the guest and their team.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Associates Degree from Culinary Institute is preferred. High school diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Must be able to obtain a Tribal Gaming License.
- Must possess a current Class 12 permit prior to initial hire.
- Food Handler’s Certificate and Serve Safe Certified.
- Requires advanced knowledge of the principles and practices within the food profession.
- Experiential knowledge required for supervision of people and/or complex problems and food and beverage management.
- Requires exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Classical and contemporary sauces production.
- Baking, cake production, Garde Manger, Fine Dining.
- Principles, practices, and processes of food and beverage preparation and delivery.
- Principles, practices, and processes of safe food handing.
- Principles, practices, and processes of inventory control and ordering systems.
- Methods and strategies of calculating and monitoring food production costs.
- Computer hardware and software applications to utilize Email, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Micros with ability to write reports and memorandums as needed.
- Adheres to internal controls for ordering, procurement systems.
- Supervisory principles, practices and methods.
- Requires basic knowledge of the principles and practices within the kitchen environment.
- Experiential knowledge required for commercial kitchen practices and processes.
- Minimum 3-year experience at Cook II level or test at equivalency, including Dish Machine Operation (DMO) requirements.
- Passion for creating delicious and visually appealing food.
- Makes recommendations to the Executive Chef in accordance with company policies.
- Must be able to utilize all hand tools used in the preparation and processing of food—typical equipment includes, but not limited to convection and conventional ovens, burners, grill, broilers, deep fryers, pots, pans, tilt skillets, electrical slicers, steamers, Hobart mixers, Blast Chiller, Wok or Oriental Station, rotisserie ovens, food processors, knives and other cooking utensils.
- Recognizing and correcting situations that may be unsafe, unhealthy or may lead to poor guest service.
- Communicating both orally and in writing, able to demonstrate advanced mathematical measurement calculations used when preparing food.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with others.
- Supervising, leading, and delegating tasks and authority.
- Responsible for food rotation (FIFO) and Sanitation.
- Proper food storage and utilization of food products of the walking coolers and freezer.
- Ability to produce daily Soups from scratch.
- Highly capable with current practices and looks ahead at opportunities to utilize new products, consumer trends, changes in the marketplace, and technology edge.
- Reflects on vast experience to determine numerous future possibilities.
- Natural instincts and insight for finding the best solution to unclear issues and problems.
- Finds creative solutions to problems and can see how the details fit into the big picture.
- Highly capable and resourceful problem solver, team player, and self-motivated.
- Ability to understand and follow all safety, sanitation and food handling instructions.
- Demonstrated proficiency in using kitchen utensils to include proper knife handling and use techniques.
The Cook III is a highly visible role with exposure to supervision. Excellent communications and personnel management skills are expected, as well as computer literacy and knowledge of cost controls and internal controls. The Cook III will demonstrate care for customers and associates, visibly demonstrate desire to understand others, create confidence and trust with others, is viewed by others as honest and direct, able to create an environment where associates thrive and actively seek approval of the manager, actively seeks input and collaboration from team to create goals and buy in, builds high performing teams, compels teams to embrace a shared vision for success.
These requirements need to be met to represent knowledge, skill and/or ability to perform job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Drug test required in accordance with CTFC policy. CTFC is an Indian preference employer.